Thursday, February 10, 2011

My Creative Space - cupcakes and princesses

My oldest, Madeleine, is rapidly growing out of most of her clothes. Being a November baby means she crosses two seasons and I've always had to top up her wardrobe with a bigger size at the end of Summer. She has a school uniform for most of the time but her nighties and pjs are all getting far too snug and short so I made her a new nightie last night to tide her over until the end of this season (and hopefully last a little into next Summer too!).



Miss Madeleine is quite fussy over her clothes. She likes comfort above all. Definately nothing tight across her chest (so empire and princess lines are totally out). She hates to wear layers (unlike her sister who is the layering queen) and stiff fabrics are definately a no no.

Making her clothes has always been a bit of a hit and miss affair. Sometimes I can't get her to change the outfit I made for her and other times, she hides it and refuses to wear it. When I find a pattern that she likes I tend to stick to it and adapt it. I've made dozens of House on Hill Road's twirly skirts for her and Kwik Sew 3169 has been another well used pattern. It's very easily adapted and I've used it to make tops and dresses (and now nighties) for both my girls. It's so quick and easy.


I made this cupcake nightie for Maddy last night. Instead of threading elastic through the sleeves (which I knew would make it uncomfortable for her), I cut them at an angle to make them quite floaty.
I also added a little diamante 'M' that she picked out one day in Spotlight to make it extra special for her.
I haven't shown Maddy the nightie yet because I need to make one for the small person in the house too or there will be a riot. Thank goodness I only have two girls! This is the fabric Eloise has chosen for her nightie.

Both fabrics are knit fabrics which I got in the Spotlight sale a few weeks ago. I'm actually terrified of sewing with knits as I always seem to mess something up. This pattern is so easy though and there is no attaching slippery neckbands so it's definately my kind of pattern for knits. I'm determined to be braver and do more sewing with knits this year. I think it's just a case of practice and know how. If any of you have any good tips, I would love to hear them.
For more Creative Spaces, pop over to Kootoyoo (thanks Kirsty!)

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the dress. Love the fabric. Great work!

Jill said...

cute little nighties! Sewing with knits...mmmm... yes I could do with some tips too! Sorry - that's no help at all to you! :)

Melissa G said...

The nightie looks quite comfy. And I love the cupcake print.

Michelle @ The Crafty Little Fox said...

They are beautiful! I also know the trials of quickly growing children except mine are now too old to be making clothes for. He is over me now and looks down on his mum :(. My little nieces however would think that those nighties would be the best!

Michelle said...

Love that cupcake fabric!

Wendy said...

Nicely done! I'm also a knit-phobic...

Michelle said...

Love a versatile pattern! You have done a great job on the nightie. Knits terrify me too, so no tips here.

seabreezequilts said...

Lovely pattern and great fabric.

aimee @ lily pad designs nz said...

that is so great. thanks for sharing the pattern number, I'll go hunt it out in my mum's stash.

Angel.Pearls said...

The nightie is so cute! Eva

Vic said...

That fabric is adorable and the 'M' is divine! No handing that one down!

Unknown said...

You're so good! I haven't made anything for my daughter this summer. I love that fairy fabric, very cute.

Deniz said...

love the cupcake fabric! and the nighty is simply gorgeous. Sure your daughter will sleep like a princess now :)

Anonymous said...

what a lovely outcome, she will love it. Advice on knits... run while you still can he he x

Sarah@Dolls And Daydreams said...

OOOOww i love love love the cupcakes! Yum! I know they'll both love their new nighties :) xxx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails